Sunday, January 11, 2009

Lizardmen Paint Schemes

So I've been trying to decide how I will paint the Lizardmen that I'm getting in the near future. I did a Goggle Image Search for "tropical frog", and looking through those lists I found the following images that look quite cool.

This one I've seen people using for things before, I believe it was a Tyranids. I think its an awesome looking frog, but I'm not sure that I want to do it for my critters. I think I might hold onto it for some of the special ones, maybe for like a Stegadon, or some other large critter that I need to paint.












These two are the same kind of frogs, but with slightly different colouring on their backs. I've seen a Lizardmen force started with these colours and I think it will be a really good combination. I'm thinking of using the blue legs idea here on my guys, as it will offer a nice contrast, and will, I think, look quite cool in combination with the next idea.



This is what I'm going to base the body of my guys off of. I think that the red/brown main body with a dark yellow/orange colour on the scales will look quite nice, especially with some contrasting blues on the legs. I'm thinking that the main colour could be something like Mechrite Red (GW) or Scar Red (VP) as a base with Gore Red, Terracota, or Dark Flesh (GW) as an overcoat. The orange could be an undercoat of Solar Orange (GW) or Bloody Red (VP), with some basic highlighting and a nice orange wash. These are just guessed at though, as I don't have my paints with me to look at to decide on an actual combination. We'll see what I decide on once I've actually got something to paint.

1 comment:

ChibiMushi said...

I think you may have been looking at my lizradmen army with that orange and blue dart frog. May I subjest keeping the crests blue as well. It brings the whole thing together and keeps better with the lore of the skinks. Also don't paint the arms blue too. Yuck. Didn't look right for me. Too much.